Monday, January 28, 2013

Slow Cooker Savory Chicken

Holy cow, it’s COLD!!!! Definitely crock pottin’ weather!  This week’s recipe is a simple, basic crock pot recipe, but I know that when I was first on my own and started cooking for myself, I needed basic recipes to start to learn how to cook, without my mom around to ask :) So here ya go. Plus a serving of this (1 breast with a good scoop or two of the veggies) Savory Chicken is this week’s Crock of the Week.

Slow Cooker Savory Chicken

  • 1.5 – 2lbs boneless chicken breasts (I used 4 large)
  • 2-15oz cans stewed tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, chunked up
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon thyme (or herb blend of your choice)
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup chicken broth (I use low sodium)
  • 4 cups broccoli florets
Put chicken on the bottom of the crock (Fresh or frozen works fine). Put all the ingredients in the crock EXCEPT the broccoli, and cook on low for 6-7 hours. A half hour before it is done, add the broccoli. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Simple but delicious! And good for you, too.
I used more than 1 cup of chicken broth, so you won’t have quite so much liquid as is in this photo when you make it, unless you are like me and like extra broth!

No comments:

Post a Comment