Ok everybody, I have to warn you…the Jacobs’ household has started a “get healthier” goal for the new year, so the Crock of the Week will be taking a healthier turn for now, since I make everything the weekend before I post it to make sure it is good (if it is a new recipe) or just to make it to take a photo for the WGLR website! BUT, since I have a 3 year old in the house, I am making every effort to make DELICIOUS healthy recipes, which your whole family will enjoy, hopefully! This week’s recipe is an example of that. I was really happy with how this new recipe turned out. I made a double batch so my husband and I can enjoy the leftovers for lunch for a good chunk of this week. One serving of this soup (1 cup) is only 150 calories! We each had 2 servings for dinner last night, and with the beans in it, it really was quite filling, and only 300 calories! AWESOME. I hope you like it, too! And you don’t have to be on a diet to enjoy it! This is meat free, so a good dish for any vegetarians out there, or if you are just trying to eat less meat in your diet overall.
Crock Pot Savory Bean and Spinach Soup
- 32 oz vegetable broth (I did half veggie, half chicken stock)
- one 15 oz can tomato puree
- one 15 oz can great northern beans or white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup UNCOOKED brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 tsp dried basil (I used oregano because I didn’t have basil on-hand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups coarsely chopped spinach or kale
- finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I forgot to add this when serving, still was good!)
One cup serving is 150 calories. Makes about 5-6 servings.