Monday, February 4, 2013

Salsa Chicken 2-for-1!



This week, I am giving you a bit of a 2-for-1 treat. I made this original recipe, Crock Pot Salsa Chicken, for the first time a few years ago and LOVED it. It comes from the great cookbook "A Year of Slow Cooking" by Stephanie O'Dea.  I recently came upon a variation of the original which made it into a soup, on her blog, which is the same name as her book (Google it, it's worth it!).  So I decided to try the soup version over the weekend and it was SO TASTY! My husband and I both agreed it is one of our favorite things I have ever made in the slow cooker. So not only am I giving you the soup recipe, but I'm also giving you the original salsa chicken recipe. Not only can you enjoy it as is, but it also works great as a filling in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, etc,  when you shred up the chicken.  It's also very low fat! YAY! Would be a nice dish for a taco bar at your Super Bowl party this weekend!

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

  • 1 lb boneless chicken thighs or breasts
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
  • 1 cup chunky salsa (1.5 cups if you use breasts)
  • 1 cup frozen corn
Pretty simple here...put the chicken in the crock (frozen is fine), and pour the other ingredients over the chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Black Bean Soup


  • 1 lb boneless chicken ( I used frozen breast tenderloins)
  • 1 cup dried black beans (or 2 cans, drained & rinsed)
  • 4 cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1-16oz jar salsa
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (to stir in at the end, I used light)
If you know you are going to make this the day before, I recommend using the dried beans, just soak them overnight for at least 8 hours. I really think they tasted great in this soup, and are less expensive than the canned. But the canned beans would work well too, I am sure.
Pour beans into the crock. Lay the chicken on top, and then pur the remaining ingredients over the chicken and beans. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. If you are using the dried beans, it will be closer to 8 hours, check the beans for tenderness. With an hour or two to go, shred up the chicken in the crock (or remove, shred, and put back in crock, which is a bit easier!).  When the soup is done, stir in the sour cream before serving.
When serving, you can top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc. 1 cup serving on it's own is only 200 calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment