Monday, October 28, 2013

Sausage Spinach Tomato Soup

*originally published on www.WGLR.com on 10-21-13*

This weekend was our first really chilly one of the season, so I HAD to make something to warm us up on Saturday! That meant a delicious soup was needed. This one fit the bill! I made a double batch and will be enjoying it for lunch all week at work, too.


sausage soup


Sausage Spinach Tomato Soup

  • 1 lb. bulk Italian Sausage
  • 1-24oz jar pasta sauce
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained & rinsed
  • 1 box (10oz) frozen chopped spinach
  • 4 large carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 cup diced yellow onions
  • 1 lb ditilini pasta (you can also sub rice)
Brown the sausage in pan before putting it in your crock. Throw in all ingredients except the pasta. (note...I subbed brown rice for the pasta in my soup. You can put 1/2 cup dry brown rice into the crock with everything and it will cook up just fine in the soup). Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.

Before serving, cook pasta according to box directions. Add to soup and serve!

*Note: I used turkey sausage, and brown rice instead of pasta (as noted above), and I was lazy and just bought match stick carrots, all worked well for a delicious soup! And my version is only 230 calories a cup, in case you are looking for a healthier modification.

2 comments:

  1. this was INCREDIBLE! one of our new favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, Mark! I agree, it's one of our new favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete