Monday, November 4, 2013

Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Caramel Sauce

I have to start by saying I was pretty skeptical that this recipe would actually work. I have had it saved on my computer for over a year, and finally decided to try it. I made it while at work on Friday, for two reasons: First, if it didn’t turn out, I knew my co-workers would all still eat it. Radio people love free food, LOL! And second, if it DID work out, I didn’t want an entire pumpkin cake with caramel sauce in my house, haha! Luckily, it turned out! And, it made our office smell awesome. Now, I’m sure a pumpkin cake baked in the oven is a bit better for pretty serving purposes, but the MAGIC of this recipe is the caramel sauce! With this trick, you will wow your kids, spouse, mother-in-law, you name it! When you cook a can of sweetened condensed milk, it turns into a caramel sauce! Well, I’d call it more of a dulce de leche sauce, but it’s amazing! Even if you don’t want to make the pumpkin cake here, you can cook the can of sweetened condensed milk in your crock, too! Place 2 cups of water and the unopened can in your crock, and cook for 4 hours.
The photo shows what it looked like when I put it in the crock to cook, and then the finished product!
pumpkin cake

Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Caramel Sauce

  • 1 box angel food cake mix
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
Prepare angel food cake mix as directed on box. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin, vanilla & pie spice. Fold into angel food cake batter.
SPRAY YOUR CROCK WITH COOKING/BAKING SPRAY! Take the paper off the can of sweetened condensed milk, and place in the middle of your crock (at least a 5.5 quart size oblong oval crock, and I put spray on the can, too). Pour the batter around the can in the crock.
Cook on high for 2 hours, then remove the cake (check with a toothpick for doneness, and it should be pulling away from the sides of the crock). Return the can of sweetened condensed milk to the crock with 2 cups of water, and cook for another 2 hours. Remove can and let cool a bit so you can open it. Give it a stir, and drizzle over pieces of the cake to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment